The creation of 3D character animation, under the direction of
the Lead Artist and Lead Animator, that meets the originality, creative
and technical quality standards of LucasArts. Mentors and sets the
example to others.
- Demonstrate a broad range of character animation and acting
skills. This includes a deep understanding of the principles of
animation, and how to best employ those principles to create performance
that supports both the characters and story goals of the game.
- The creation of character animation in a variety of stylistic
genres, from cartoony to realistic, mechanical to fluid, humanoid
- Demonstrate total mastery of animation skills within a specific
- A deep understanding of character rigging. This includes a fundamental
understanding of the technical processes involved, functionality
- Demonstrate complete mastery of professional development software
tools required for character animation.
- Take initiative to resolve art pipeline issues by researching,
identifying and implementing solutions designed to streamline
the art process and enhance productivity within the studio.
- Actively promote and communicate sound solutions to technical
and design issues related to animation.
- Maintain and communicate a strong knowledge of innovative game
production technologies and the capabilities / limitations of
these technologies as they relate to project goals.
- Collaborate effectively with Art leads during art review sessions
that results in the finest artistic look possible.
- Mentor and lead by example less experienced artists, providing
them with support, guidance and instruction in areas that provide
for their artistic and professional growth.
- Meet project deadlines / milestones, as set by project leads,
and the production department.
Actively participate in team / department meetings.
- Consistently exercises sound judgment in all areas of performance.
- A reel demonstrating outstanding character animation / acting
abilities; a strong understanding of the principles of animation;
the physics of motion, and a wide breadth of stylistic versatility.
A degree, or equivalent from an animation program, is strongly
- Additional skills in the following artistic disciplines is also
- Cel animation
- Figure drawing
- Character rigging
- Professional experience working as a 3D animator in computer
gaming or a related field.
- Passion for games.
- Strong command of Maya’s animation tools preferred.
- Strong technical aptitude related to 3D animation tools and
game engine technologies.
- A deep understanding of the principles of 3D character set-up.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high degree of self-direction.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be receptive to animation direction and perform well within
a collaborative team environment.
- Must be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Willingness to work overtime when necessary.